The Private Pilots Licence (PPL)
A PPL holder can fly a UK registered light aircraft (<5700kg) in Visual Flight Rules (VFR) by day. In addition, they have the following privileges:
• Carry passengers without payment.
• Additional ratings to fly at night and in Instrument conditions can be added.
• Minimum of 45 hours training.
• 25 hours of dual flight instruction.
• 10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross-country flight time.
• At least 1 cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM) that includes full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the departure aerodrome.
• Must hold a class 2 medical.
• 9 Theory Exams (Can be taken at the flight school)
• Practical radio test.
• Minimum age of 16 to fly solo, and 17 for licence issue.
• Skills test with a Flight Examiner.